Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery



I borrowed this book from a friend, who is famous for her delicious cupcakes. I made the vanilla cupcakes, with vanilla icing (dyed pink, just for fun) and they really are divine! Very moist and dense, yet light sponge, and the icing went down very well with Emm, as you can see from her plate. I found it a little too sweet myself, the icing calls for milk, which I think might mean it needs more sugar. I usually do a buttercream icing with just butter, the flavour ingredient, and sugar, and I stop adding sugar when the consistency seems right. I'll have to experiment with the icing a little more, but the cake recipe went straight into my cookbook. (I have a handwritten one, where I add only recipes that really work for me, and that we like. Whenever I give a cookbook to charity or pass it on to a friend, I check it first for favourites, and copy them into my book).
The amounts of batter and icing didn't quite work for me, I had too much cake batter for 12 cupcakes, maybe my bun cases are smaller than standard cupcake cases. I only made half the icing, and it was more than enough! The leftovers were lovely spread on toast the next day...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great - my vanilla cake recipe is from a Delia Smith sponge, but I'm never sure if it's as good as it could be. Would you pass on the recipe, if you get time?

    ReplyDelete